Thursday, May 19, 2011

In flux


I now have a better understanding of the terms “flux”.  In silversmithing, flux is an agent - usually liquid - that is applied to a join before it is soldered.  Flux is pretty cool- it dissolves oxides on the surface of the metals (keeps it clean), and helps the solder to flow.

So if one was to be in a state of flux – it would be in a state of flow, or change, which yields positive results.  What a great description for my creative quest.

This week I worked with “reticulation” on silver.  Sorry for yet another definition, but stay with me.  Reticulation is when base metal silver is heated to the point where it becomes molten, and is then cooled.  As you repeat this many times, the silver gains a unique texture of ridges and valleys. 

Taking the metal to the molten state was totally amazing, and almost thrilling.  The trick is to make it very hot without actually melting the silver.  The results are unpredictable, so you sort of get what you get.  That in itself is kind of freeing.

Silver sheet before reticulation

Completed earrings made with reticulated silver, and tube set gems which, although you would think
the gems would be simply glued on - no.  They're actually bezel set just like larger stones. 

Matching pendant.  Notice the edges which have been slightly melted
for a free-form look



My next project will be a multi-link hammered bracelet.  Before work begins on metal, it is first annealled (heated up to soften it) so that it is easier to work with. Then, in the process of being worked on, the metal hardens.  

(Could there by an analogy to life?  If we’re soft, we gain strength by being worked or tested?  Hmmmm)

Starting with sterling silver wire, it is formed into circles, soldered then reshaped.
The round and square links will be hammered with a texture then joined together
with jump rings to form a bracelet (at some point in time!).

This will be my last silversmithing experience until the end of summer.  It’s just too pleasant outside to be indoors.

Now I’ll turn my attention to the garden … and the quest to design aesthetically pleasing planters.  

In the past this has been a bit challenging for me, and stressful too since I have a very creative gardening-goddess neighbour.  I'm going to try a different approach this year.  I'll either plan a lot, or not at all.  Should be interesting.  Stay tuned.




1 comment:

  1. I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete