Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Down to Work (or Deb Learns to Play With Fire)


Enough rambling – time to get to work and actually make something.  

I’ve taken a few silversmith classes by now, but I have to say that the first few were sort of disheartening.  There were 8 of us in the introductory class – various ages – and I was excited to learn technique.  Learn how to do it first, I thought, and then let the creative juices flow.

Fair enough.  However, 6 of the (younger) students started right off with lovely creative pieces … and the other student and I felt like we were, well, not so creative.  

We left the first few classes with works that, had we been younger, we would have taken home to our mothers for them to display on a window ledge or tape to the fridge.

However, I’ve persevered, and have completed a few pieces that I’m actually relatively proud of … and might even wear. 



Basic bezel setting with cabochon stone pendant & custom designed bail

The first set of classes was through the City Arts Centre, and I learned a lot of hands-on fundamentals.  I’m surprised that I actually enjoy the work.  

Usually the activities I like are “big and quick”, and silversmithing is definitely not that.  It’s finicky and time-consuming.  However, it’s very satisfying to work with a metal and take it from its base form to something entirely different.  



Silver textured band with bezel setting around this
 cabochon stone (which I believe is petrified dinosaur bone)


I now have a tool box with saws, files of various sizes (I even know what a “bastard file” is), and, surprise surprise, I have overcome my fear of the gas torch.  

This is a huge accomplishment considering that when we modified our BBQ from propane to gas, I was so stressed out I had to leave the house and wait down the street in the park until the work was completed.  

I was freaked out that our house would blow up.

I’m much better now.  At the very least, in this respect, I have grown.


Balling the tip of silver wire.
This will become an earring hook.






2 comments: