Tuesday, March 20, 2012

A Pause

My creative bug journal (and journey) has recently been about concrete works and examples, and less about reflection - which is not necessarily a bad thing (productivity and all that) - but perhaps this is a good point to pause for a moment.

I've explored many different avenues over the past year - my first post was April 1, and I had no idea where I was headed.  Since then I've explored silversmithing, drawing, watercolour pencils, flower arranging and stained glass.  There's so much more I want to try - actual watercolours, acrylic, more drawing, oil painting, mosiacs, more silversmithing ... now that I've started, I can't seem to stop. How fun is that!

So in this (brief) intermission, I thought I'd share a few quotes and ideas about creativity and art that speak to me.

From Leonardo da Vinci: "Art is never finished, only abandoned."

Pablo Picasso has many expressive thoughts including: "Art washes from the soul the dust of everyday life."
and
"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist after he grows up."

Some others:

"Remember the great adversity of art or anything else is a hurried life."   Robert James Waller

"If you can't make a mistake, you can't make anything."   Marva Collins

"Creativity is a natural extension of our enthusiasm."   Earl Nightingale

"What art offers is space - a certain breathing room for the spirit."  John Updike

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness." Eckhart Tolle

"It is the spectator, and not life, that art really mirrors."  Oscar Wilde

"The artist is not a different kind of person, but every person is a different kind of artist."   Eric Gill

And finally, from Picasso:

"God is really only another artist. He invented the giraffe, the elephant, and the ant. He has no real style. He just goes on trying other things."




from the web: National Geographic (giraffe/elephant)
 and M.Plonsky (ant) with original copyright God

Here's to trying other things!





1 comment:

  1. I love the thought that God has no particular style. Who needs to be limited by a style, anyway?

    This was a refreshing pause in my day. Thank you.

    -Darlene

    ReplyDelete